Studio Tour and A Typical Workday

Studio Tour and A Typical Workday

Pen+Pillar started in 2015 in the corner of my bedroom while my husband and I were living in St. Paul, Minnesota. We moved to North Carolina in 2016, and bought a house in December with a cute little backyard studio. That is still in the process of being remodeled, so Pen+Pillar is running out of one of our spare rooms. Even though the backyard studio is still in the works, I seriously love the space I am in now, and feel like I might miss it! One thing I try to do with my business is appreciate each stage that I am in, and be thankful for small beginnings. So, I decided to show you where all your orders start and finish! I seriously love what I do, and it's such a joy to be able to share this space with you, and show you a peek into a normal day.

This space seriously gets the best morning light. Which is awesome, because I love mornings. I wake up between 7-7:30am and get some coffee and usually read for a little while, though recently I have tried to get back into running. I usually get started working anywhere between 8-9am, and work until about 4pm. Occasionally I will work again at night, but I really try not to.

Morning: I usually start my workday by checking Etsy, accepting and scheduling wholesale orders, checking emails, and making my daily task list. I also like to start by spending time scrolling through Pinterest, especially if painting is on the schedule for the day. I find it so inspiring, and it always makes me feel motivated. I plan my social media post for the day, and then get started with what's first on my list! My schedule and tasks vary by the day, so today I am working on wrapping up my new art print collection, and making a calendar for my holiday cards and new product line. That will mean searching for manufacturers, gathering samples, creating a timeline and task list, and creating a budget. Since it's Friday, I will also reconcile my finances for the week, update inventory, and make a goals list for next week.

Afternoon: I usually eat lunch around 12, and only take about 30 minutes, since I stop work at 4. I always package orders right after lunch. I am going out of town this weekend, so I finished all my orders yesterday to be able to pack and clean the house for our friend who is watching our dog while we are gone. Usually, orders take anywhere from 1-4 hours, which is why I try to make my mornings as productive as possible. If I have a light day, I will spend the afternoon working on my "running task list" I made a while ago. This list is basically things that I don't have as a must-do for the day: writing new blog posts, answering emails, updating my website, researching and reaching out to new retailers, education (video courses), marketing, and my personal favorite- painting.

That's a typical day around here! Holiday seasons look a little different, but other than that, it's pretty much a picture of every day. I really love what I do, even on the days that do not go this smooth. Every job goes through it's seasons, and to be honest, right now I'm in a tough one (more on that later), but I still think it's the best job in the world.

Have any questions or comments? Please feel free to share below!

Leave a comment

Left Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart